Friday, October 9, 2009

Why I’m Pro-Life

I've been one of those people who rode the fence on pro-life/pro-choice issues for a long time. It was much easier when I was younger to be pro-choice. I knew I could never have an abortion, no matter the reason, but did not want to be unfair to others.

I'm older now and maybe a bit wiser. I am no longer on the fence. If you have a minute, I'll explain why.

My birth mother was a divorcee who worked as a waitress in the early 1950's. In those days, there was stigma enough in being a divorced woman, especially in the South. In the days before Roe vs. Wade, there were no abortions in the South (or elsewhere) unless you went to a back alley practitioner or – In the South - to a "granny woman" who could assist you with a coat-hanger or the right herbs.

When she became pregnant by a married boyfriend, she moved in order to hide the pregnancy from her family. When I was born, she gave me up for adoption. As far as I know, she and I never saw each other after I was taken away at birth. I don't know who she was, where she ended up, or anything about her life. I do know the most important fact: she gave me my life.

My life has had plenty of ups and downs. Many of those have been hurtles of my own making. I can't blame her. She gave me life. The life she did not choose to take from me is mine to live as I please. The mistakes and triumphs are mine to endure or celebrate. All of which would not have existed if she had sought out an abortion.

Had she done so; my four children would not exist, nor would my grandchildren or great-grandchildren. Had she done so; you would not be reading these words.

Had she opted for an abortion; I would have never seen a sunrise, smelled a rose, stroked a cat, made love, had friends, or done any of the things we do each day without a conscious thought. I thank her and bless her for walking the hard and harder road. I thank her for my life. I pray for all the souls who have not had the opportunity to do all these things and more, because their mother's did not want to walk the hard and harder road themselves.

Be Blessed.


 


 


 

3 comments:

  1. How blessed we are to have you in our lives. I, too thank your birth mother for taking the higher road...and definitely harder road. May GOD bless her for trying her best to do what was best for you.
    andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moving post, thank you for writing it. I have a daughter that I adopted. I pray often for my daughter's birth mom and all of the birth moms out there who courageously gave the most loving gift of all. Life, real life. Thank God for all moms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce,Your story is such a moving story..and may very well make the difference between life and death for some. Thank you for sharing it with the world.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails