Friday, May 28, 2010

Abuses of Handicapped Parking – Is This YOUR Car?

This is another installment in my series of abuses of handicapped facilities by non-handicapped persons.

On a trip to our local Wal-Mart, we encountered this vehicle, an SUV pulling a trailer, parked in the handicapped parking area in the marked off section between the actual handicapped parking spaces.

IMG00009

This made it impossible for a person using a wheelchair to disembark from a vehicle in the space next to the SUV (my original choice for a space). In fact, this action by the driver of the SUV effectively disabled four handicapped spaces from being of much use to a severely disabled person like my husband.

IMG00017

IMG00043

I don’t know what this driver was thinking. I saw no handicapped placard nor did the vehicle have a handicapped tag.

As I was snapping these photos with my cell phone a passer-by asked me what I was doing and I told her I was going to write about this and put the pictures on my blog. I didn’t turn the driver in to the authorities, but I did want to use this as an example of what not to do.

The yellow marked off areas between handicapped spaces are for people like my husband who need room to maneuver in a wheelchair.

Please be thoughtful and don’t make life any more difficult on the handicapped and their caregivers than it has to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails